Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Thankful.


So it’s been a little while since my last blog but nothing too crazy exciting has happened, at least not compared to the Amazon and Machu Picchu. It’s still kind of crazy to me that I have been to one of the 7 wonders of the world and the greatest river in South America and in a week no less!  So obviously I’m extremely thankful for those opportunities and the fact that I think my body is FINALLY recovering and assimilating to Peru…crossing my fingers and knocking on wood.

But here are a few of the things I am most thankful for over the last almost 6 weeks:

·      My wonderful Peruvian family. They have opened up their home to me and really make me feel like I’m part of the family. They always include me in things (like going to the beach, my fave), they worry about me when I’ve been sick and take me to the doctor, bring me medicine, call me to check up on me even when I go out of town (reminds me of my own mom, which makes me less homesick) and are always making sure I’ve had enough to eat which as you all know might be the most important thing haha
·      Dr. Miller and his wife, also Dr. Miller. I feel so luck that they were able to come and for Dr. Miller to be our UNK professor this semester.  They have been so wonderful especially when I was sick in the Amazon, I don’t know what I would have done if they hadn’t been there.
·      The guys in our group. Whenever we go out at night they always make sure to split up in cabs, walk the girls home and always make sure none of us are alone.
·      And of course all the lovely ladies of the group. I already feel so close to some of them in this short amount of time and most of them share my love of food and wine so really what’s not to love? Haha


So here’s a little picture summary of the last week and a half or so…

My family had a baby shower for one of their cousins so that was fun to see a few of the Peruvian traditions which are actually pretty much the same as in the US. 
Mama Aída, Marylinda and Aída

Jorge's family had a BBQ for us last Thursday and well... When in Perú, do as Peruvians do.

The next day my fam took me to a beach I hadn't been too... Playa Santa Maria

& then that night we went to a concert at a discoteca and finally met Dan's host sister Helen and her friend. Operation make Peruvian friends has commenced.

And last night we went to El Parque de los Aguas :)




No comments:

Post a Comment